Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving 2012

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to blab a little bit about Thanksgiving...it is my hubby's favorite holiday, ya know!?  For the past two years we have spent Turkey day with my family in California.  Which of course was so wonderful!  It's always wonderful watching football, playing games and eating the most "aunt donna" mashed potatoes my stomach can handle....and doing it all while gazing into the sunset over the pacific ocean.  Really, I'm not sure those moments with my wonderful family can be beat.  Even Thomas loved his time with the "other side" on his favorite holiday.  I mean, the Milburns do not play the dice game or guess how many m and m's are in the jar, or the clothespin game or even bingo while sitting around the table.  So of course he would have a blast!  But...I know...I totally understand...it's not the same when it's not your own family.  I've re-learned that this year.  I was blessed beyond belief to have spent two whole years living, yes, WITH, my parents.  Seeing my own mommy every single day did not get old.  EVER!  So when the holidays began to roll around this year I had to just take a deep breath and close my eyes and picture my California family.  They're never really far.  Despite the distance.  Now don't get me wrong, Thanksgiving at the Milburns is amazing!  Or should I say "pie-mazing!"  (9 this year)  Even my own parents can attest to Thanksgiving at the Milburns being something joyful.  Something heavenly.  They've been here before on Turkey day!  And if I'm not mistaken they even had a year full of Scattergories and La Familia!  (Lucky guys)  So the moral of this story is not simply that I am thankful.  Yes, I am thankful.  But it goes a little deeper.  I'm sitting in my chair that's way too low for this desk probably keeping my husband awake with the annoying little sounds each finger makes on the keyboard tearing up because of how full of thanks and joy and love my heart is for my families.  My Colorado family AND my California family.  Because no matter where we celebrate Thomas's favorite holiday we know we are loved and appreciated and thought of.  And for that I'm thankful.  And I don't know if many people can say that.  We truly have a special bond with each family member.  Even Chad (my cousin's husband)  I know...it's crazy stuff people.  Chad even thought of us and loves us and appreciates us.  And as much as he did that about us....we did it a thousand times about him because this year we were too far away to give him a hug.  Soon though.  Very soon.  So until we can hug Chad, and Steve and GGMA..... we will give thanks to God for the family we have.  For the LOVING family we have.  Both near and far.  

"Rejoice in the Lord.  Again I say rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 

1 comment: