Monday, July 30, 2012

Happy Birthday Kristen!


Happy Birthday Kristen!

Today is Kristen’s 30th Birthday so I have high jacked her blog to wish her a happy birthday. One of the reasons I love my wife is because she is so modest. She is modest in what she wears, what she says, and especially modest about telling anyone how much she does! So, I am more than happy to share with her blogging world 30 reasons why I ADORE my wife Kristen.

1.  She is Gorgeous!  - (Yes this is number one. Some people say looks don’t count but if we’re honest we know that if this wasn’t number one then we would never have found out what number 2-30 is.) But seriously, Kristen you are stunning! You are more beautiful today as a mother of two than when I first met you ten years ago.

2.  She loves Jesus – I am so thankful that you have a relationship with God that has orchestrated a gentle and passionate heart for the hard to love, for the misfits, and the underdogs of this world. Thank you!

3. She is Generous- Kristen does a wonderful job giving others her time and resources. Kristen has taught me to have a loose grip on my time and finances in order to be generous with them.  Thank you!

4. She lives simply- I can always think of ten things to spend money on and Kristen always reels me in. She can always live with less things and teaches me to be happy not to have. Thank you!

5. She is an intentional mom- Kristen makes all the time she has with the girls intentional. As easy as it is for me to put the kids in front of special agent oso, she fills her days with puzzles, books, shape sorters, outside activities, play dates, and experiences. Thank you incredible amount of energy it takes to be intentional!

6. She pays all the bills- It is simply a luxury to hand over a check to Kristen and know that all the bills will be paid on time. Thank you for being financially savvy!

7. She is Motivated- When there is a task to get done, a trip to pack for or and job to do Kristen is on top of it! I might lay around for a few days and take a nap but Kristen is go go go until it is complete. Thank you for having a great drive!

8. She is Creative- Kristen not only creates amazing memory books of our girls but she creates new games and activities, fun date nights, and so much more. The girls and I love all the things you have made for us, Thank you!

9. She is Smart- Some of you might think that Kristen went to the Univeristy of Colorado for a Ms. Degree but she actually has her M.A. in Education and a B.A. in Spanish. Thank you for being so much smarter than me!

10. She is Adventurous- Kristen has an adventurous spirit (which is probably why she wants to be on the Amazing Race with her sister Becky so bad). She skies (water and snow), snowboards, backpacks, snowshoes, shoots guns, snow caves, climbs, canoes, went in a helicopter, and raises two kids! She lived in Spain, traveled parts of Europe, and built houses in Mexico. Thank you for loving life!

11. She is Loves Family- Kristen loves being with all her family. She loves family dinners with her parents, siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins, and all her Millburn in-laws. Thank you for loving our your big and extended family so much!

12. She is a Teacher- Kristen loves to teach kids new things. She loves to make activities at home or the beach a time for our girls to learn. She takes the time to teach me the things I’ve missed while I was at work and how to be a better Dad. I know that she misses her classroom at school but for now we get Mrs. Milburn all to ourselves. Thank you for teaching us new things!

13. She is Empathetic- Not only does she sympathize with people but Kristen moves that emotion into action and is empathetic. She has the ability to see needs in her community, friends and family and takes action to help what hurts. Thank you for loving others!

14. She is Merciful- Kristen has a God given ability to forgive. I can’t tell you how many times I have blown it and how many times she forgives me. Kristen does not harbor resentments or unforgiveness but extend grace to me and others. Thank you for teaching me what God’s love is like!

15. She is a loyal friend- I don’t have to tell you how great of a friend she is, that’s probably why you read her blog. Thank you for being my BFF!

16. She is Organized- Everything would be lost if it wasn’t for Kristen’s organization skills. The girls and I say, “um, babe, I’m going to Canada tomorrow do you know where my passport is?”, “Mommy, I missing a puzzle piece”, Kristen replies, “it right over here”. Thank you for keeping us together!

17. She is Funny- Kristen can make me laugh whenever she wants. Her silliness brings a huge grin to my face. Thank you for your laughter.

18. She puts others first- Day in and day out Kristen puts her wants and desires behind the girls and my wants and desires. She has one of the largest hearts for others that I have ever known. I am so thankful for your servant’s heart!

19. She is a great Listener- The reason Kristen is such a great listener is because she cares about the person talking. She is fully present in conversation and not distracted with ten other priorities or even the next task on her schedule. Her listening ear demonstrates her compassionate heart. Thank you for being the one I confide in!

20. She is Fun- Katin and Aubrey have only begun to know the fun their mommy brings to the party! If you have ever been on a loooonnnngggg road trip with Kristen then you will know she can take any opportunity and make it a favorite memory. Thank you for spicing up the Milburns!

21. She is Athletic- I love that few people know that Kristen played soccer for the University of Colorado. (Go Buffs) She continues to play any sport she can get her hands or feet on. Soccer, volleyball, kickball, broomball, ultimate, and even smashball. She is always game for some games! Thank you for our future athletes!

22. She loves sports- One of the first times I asked Kristen to hang out she responded, “Sure, but is it ok if we watch college game day and the buff game later today”? um yes! And will you bear my children?! She continues to sit and watch the Buffs, Broncos, Lakers, Angels, and any Sunday afternoon golf tournament with me. Thank you for enjoying sports as much as I do!

23. She enjoys food- I am so thankful my wife likes to eat because I like to cook. Thank you for not having a side salad four times a week and a crisp glass of water for dessert! Here’s to another 30 years of incredible food and dessert!

24. She is hospitable- We have had quite a few visitors these past two years and all have noticed Kristen’s hospitality. She always has a fridge full of drinks and snacks for anyone who is stopping in. Kristen makes others feel at home in our home. Thank you for making our home a place others want to be.

25. She does all the laundry- I have never once asked Kristen to do any laundry and I have never needed a clean shirt. She is so faithful in doing the no fun job of cleaning the clothes and linens. Thank you for serving the family again and again. It never goes unnoticed.

26. She loves game night- Pictionary, Scrabble, scattergories, Cranium, Dum Rum, or any other game you could possibly bring over Kristen is ready to play (and win). More than movies, shopping, or clubbin’ Kristen loves having family and friends around the table to play some games. Thank you for being so community oriented!

27. She is comfortable in her own skin- I have never heard Kristen wish she was someone or somewhere else. She is confident in who she is. Thank you for teaching me to be more comfortable with who I am!

28. She has a small makeup drawer- When Kristen needs to get fancy and all dressed up she throws on her mascara and Jergens. I am the luckiest man in the world to be married to such a simple and beautiful woman. Thank you for keeping it simple!

29. She is Honest- Kristen is the most honest person I know. There is no seed of deceit or falsity in her. She is never trying to get away with something or hide anything from people. She is honest about her thoughts, feelings and criticisms. Thank you for having a pure heart!

30. She makes me a better husband- In all that she is and all that she does, I am forever indebted to her for making me a better man. She teaches me more about life, God and Character than I would have ever known alone. Thank you for investing into me!

After reading this list you’re probably asking yourself two things. One, “how bad is Thomas’s grammer! Did he even finish middle school?” And two, “Kristen sure does a lot, does Thomas do anything”? So to answer your curiosity, yes I went to middle school; all five years and it’s not as easy as it sounds being a trophy husband!

I love you Kristen, Happy 30th Birthday!

5 comments:

  1. One word. Awwwwwww.
    Happy Birthday sweet sister!!! I love you oh so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen.

    Love you Kristen! You are a rockstar in my book! :)
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and loving post by Thomas! I had a fun time reading it and I agree you are a fantastic person in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops the Feildstone comment is from me,Chelsea. Did not know I was logged in under my husbands work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more!! Nicely said, Thomas.

    LOVE YOU KRISTEN!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete